Tuesday 10 March 2015

Mimi blouse in African fabric


Al lot of you are probably familiar with the Mimi blouse, it is one of the patterns in the love at first stitch book. It’s the first pattern I have tried from the book and I love it. According to my measurements I should have made size 4. But the book also has the measurements of the finished garment and based on that I decided to make size 3 instead of size 4. I like my blouses to be more fitted. I would even consider making a size 2 next time.



The fabric I used is a cotton print that I bought when I was in Tanzania for a school project. I love the print of the fabric. The fabric was rather stiff when I bought it but the local students told me that it was because they add starch to the fabric. They told me it would come out when I washed it. But I still think the fabric is rather stiff for the pattern. I hope the fabric will get softer if I wash it more.

The instructions in the book where easy to follow with plenty pictures and detailed instructions. The only thing I struggled with were pleads in the sleeves. It took me ages to figure out how to fold them.  

This is one of the more complicated patterns I have made lately. It has a collar and pleated sleeves. I loved making something that I required a bit more concentration than my latest projects. I made this blouse in small steps, drew the pattern one evening, cut the fabric another and sewed the bodice one evening, the sleeves another time. I did that because I thought it would help me be more concentrated. It worked until I wanted to overclock the facing and accidentally cut of the tip of the collar. Please tell me I’m not the only one that has done that, I feel so stupid.


I made a new collar and I think the finish is great. I finished the hem and the sleeves by hand with an invisible stitch. I noticed that my sewing machine can automatically attach buttons.  So now I have got perfect buttonholes and it took me 5 minutes to attach all the buttons. I love it.

What is your favourite pattern form the book? Which one should I try next? 

3 comments:

  1. really good excrement in african fashion. looks so cute and creative. really like it
    WHOLE SELL AFRICAN FABRICS,AFRICAN GEORGE

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow ...What very pretty, festive dress! The colors and fabrics are absolutely perfect, and you look sensational. Thank you for sharing your sewing adventure in putting it together. I learned much.
    We have a great collection of African fabrics.Visit us hope you guys love them.
    African Fabrics
    Wholesale African Fabrics
    African fabrics wholesale
    Guipure Lace Fabrics
    Swiss Voile Lace
    African Print
    Dashiki Print
    African Lace
    Guipure Lace
    African George
    Sequin Fabrics

    ReplyDelete